Log in

Thu, Feb. 7th, 2013, 03:59 pm
Tired of Waiting at The Doctor's Office?

I'm the queen of waiting at doctors. Anyone who has Medicaid is pretty much an expert. A four-hour wait is not unusual for a clinic, two-hour wait for an appointment, and I used to have a joyous pharmacy experience which involved waiting in an hour-long line to turn in my prescription, at which point they would hand me a slip of paper telling me what time the next day to return. I'd come back the next day (mind you, a 1-1.5hr trip each direction on public transit), wait in another hour-long line and hopefully get my medications. Sometimes they'd be out due to budget cuts, in which case I might get a few meds and a slip telling me to try again next week. Just getting a prescription filled easily took up two days, and then after they gentrified the neighborhood there were always complaints around that clinic/pharmacy because many people, unable to afford double trips on the metro, would choose the alternate route of arriving just as the pharmacy opened, then waiting outside all day long because they could usually get their prescription around 4 or 5pm the same day if they were early enough in the line. I guess having hordes of poor people standing around doing nothing gave the neighbors cramps. I'm glad I have the option now of my local CVS.

I submit to you the following experience, which I have just discovered is far WORSE than waiting for hours at the doctors. And that is, having the doctor rearrange everything to get you seen. You go in for an appointment to set up a necessary test (I've been having some sort of suspected gastritis, and was in to see my GI doctor for an upper endoscopy), only to have the doctor say, "oh by the way, we have an opening in the surgical suite tomorrow, I know it's a bit last minute, but do you think you could arrange for a ride home?" But then the plot thickens, as you are trying to establish what time the ride needs to be there, the doctor says, very nonchalantly, "oh, no, whatever time your ride can be here, we'll just move the time of the procedure." About the time the doctor starts REARRANGING THE SURGICAL SUITE BOOKINGS to suit THE PATIENT'S schedule so they can be seen faster is about the time a little white rabbit wearing a waistcoat pops out and gives me a heart attack and down we go the rabbit hole.

I was wearing a paper gown a little over twelve hours after my appointment, and for the first time I had crashed out in the recovery room when the doctor came to give me the results.

My gastritis IS in fact, gastritis. They took a biopsy, and I will have those results February 20th.
The weird pain and swallowing thing is ... *drumroll please* a hiatal hernia. What I missed due to sleeping is whether or not he thinks it needs surgery, which I know he would have told me in recovery had I been awake. Of course, nothing would be done until after the biopsy results came back anyway, but it would be nice to know.

Thankfully, no stomach polyps, no obvious cancers. *sigh* And now for a nap.

Thu, Feb. 7th, 2013 11:40 pm (UTC)

You do realize that they put a chip in you ?

Sun, Feb. 10th, 2013 07:06 pm (UTC)
jadxia: I sincerely doubt this

Medicaid budget cuts after all