1/2 cup (4 oz.) wheat bran or bran cereal
1/2 cup (4 oz.) boiling water
1&1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup (8 oz.) milk or soy milk
1/4 cup (2 oz.) orange juice
1 cup (4.25 oz) dried cranberries
1) Pour boiling water over bran and let sit to soften and cool.
2) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
3) In medium mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
4) Add oil and egg to cooled bran mixture. Mix well. Add to dry ingredients.
5) Add milk and orange juice, beating well to form a thick batter. When combined, fold in cranberries.
ALTERNATIVES: Replace cranberries with minced veggies such as carrot, parsnip, or zucchini. You can also use raisins and other dried fruits. I've heard good things about coconut and bran, but since I can't eat coconut you'll have to try this for yourself.