Log in

No account? Create an account

Tue, Aug. 28th, 2012, 12:14 am
Today's Check-In (Sick-Day Monday)

On a Monday sick-day, I only have to do three things, basic grooming, eat a healthy meal, and study my Spanish lesson. I did all of those things (worked on lesson 17 twice, but my brain fried out halfway through each time). My healthy meal was leftover soup I made last night (there is still some left, it has potatoes, carrots, zucchini, and kale in a chicken stock base). I also took my meds and was fairly sober, if a midafternoon hot toddy can be counted as medicinal. I figure, Benedictine is made by monks for healing purposes, so turning some into a warm drink is alright.

So 100% today, unless you count the wee bit of booze and then it's 75%.

Of course, the whole point of having a sick-day schedule is that one is supposed to be resting. But we're transporting the bookcases for donation on Friday, and I volunteer on Thursday, with a therapist appointment and meeting with my lawyer tomorrow, so that means I had to have the new bookcases built, the books moved, and the old bookcase dismantled between today and Wednesday. So I set about building bookcases while sick.

Stupid idea. There wasn't enough room in the office, for one. I should have moved the packages to the living room and then dragged the completed bookcases to the office. I used to like Ikea furniture, and I'm pretty good at putting things together from obscure directions.

I obliterated this bookcase.

First the crappy back-piece (which is heavy-duty cardboard) completely ripped down a seam as I was putting it on. I taped it back together, even though it looked like crap I figured it wouldn't matter (after all, the shelves would be full of books). Then, when I went to stand up the case, one side kept wanting to pull away and for the life of me, I could not figure out why. So I put it back down on the floor, tightening and checking, pounding and tightening. After much head-scratching and a boatload of cursing, I discovered that two of the plastic tighteners had broken. Thus the screws weren't holding that side on. Of course, there weren't any replacements. Thank goodness the bookcase only cost around $50, because it can no longer be assembled. When I went to put together the smaller case, it was short a screw. Looks like one of the nails had popped a hole in the little plastic baggie with all the fixins in it. So I cannibalized the big bookcase for a screw. I could have taken the tighteners from the smaller bookcase and made the big one, but I figured with a huge rip going down the back-piece, I might as well not bother.

In all the fun, I also managed to take a gouge out of the office door (typical of me) and hit my finger with a hammer (which I hardly ever do). It could have gone worse, I suppose. I could have broken a finger or toe or stepped on a nail.

And just to add to my 'perfect' day, the garbage disposal started leaking again, creating a puddle of muddy colored water on my kitchen floor. There was a point where I almost just sat down and cried in frustration.

Tried to nap but couldn't. Watched Bob Esponja (SpongeBob SquarePants) but even a kid's show's Spanish is too fast for me to understand. Even with an episode I had seen before (Gary the snail runs away).

I'm sick. I'm exhausted. I'm trying hard to be compassionate toward myself. I'm going to say that metta prayer at least three times before I fall asleep tonight (see previous post).

For my readers who are sick, whether mental or physical, why don't we all say it at least once before we fall asleep tonight. Maybe it will help keep us dreaming, without any nightmares.


web counter

Tue, Aug. 28th, 2012 06:13 am (UTC)

Jade and her silver hammer ...